ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS, NYSC PERSONAL CDS WHICH INCLUDE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PERSONAL CDS CORPS MEMBERS CAN UNDERGO, HOW TO SOURCE FOR FUNDS, AND HOW TO WRITE PROPOSALS.
Community Development Service (CDS) is one of the four (4) Cardinal Programmes of NYSC in which corps members contribute positively to the development of their host communities throughout the period of national service.
Since its inception in 1973, the National Youth Service Corps has been making great contributions in the social, political and economic transformation of the nation.
In recent times, the scheme has been in the vanguard of the nation’s drive to correct the imbalance in our rural-urban development through the various community development programmes executed by corps members.
CDS can be done in groups or personally. For the purpose of this article, we are going to concentrate on the Personal CDS. A personal CDS is a community development service done by an individual serving corps member.
WHAT IS A PERSONAL CDS
A personal CDS is a non-compelled community service done by an individual serving corps member (only members serving in the region can do a personal CDS).
Every “Serving” corper is qualified. There are no special set of corpers who are separated from the rest to participate. It is however a matter of personal choice. Some corpers embark on it for fame, glory, awards, recognition, others do so to reach out and affect their community of service, some embark on it for the extra certificate they will receive at the end of their NYSC Programme.
It is not compulsory to carry out a personal CDS while serving as a youth corper and it will not affect your chances of passing out at the normal time.
However, it is best to do it out of the free will and good heart.
PURPOSE OF A PERSONAL CDS
The major purpose in which a serving corps member can embark on a personal CDS includes
- Development of the host community infrastructure
- Humanitarian services to the less privileges
- Youth & Women Empowerment
- The list goes on.
TYPE OF PERSONAL CDS A SERVING CORPER CAN DO
Although your project will be meeting the need of the community, most Corpers are more interseted in the Awards and recognitions that are attached to a personal CDS.
Here is a list of Personal CDS a serving corps member can do
- Construction/Rehabilitation of Bore Hole in the host Community of Service.
- Free medical tests and immunization
- Donation of Books and Writing material to Primary and Secondary School Library
- Taking on pro-bono cases (If you are a lawyer or sponsoring one)
- Supply of crops, fertilizers and farm tools to farmers in your community
- Organizing skill acquisition training for youths and women for free
- Payment of WAEC, NECO enrollment fees for bright but poor students in your community
- Embark on a health sensitization scheme like HIV awareness, Malaria control, etc..
- Free distribution of medical aids: dettol distribution, mosquito nets, setting up of wash hand basins in every class of every school, etc
- Construction of road signs and road directions for motorists to easily navigate their way around the community.
- Donation of clothing, and/or food materials to orphanage homes.
- Construction or Renovation of Corpers accommodations, classroom or hostel.
- Construction of solar street lights.
- Writing a book for the students.
- Construction of Public Toilet in remote locations in the community.
- Organizing Youth Programs or Quiz competitions among students in your community and reward the best.
- Organize a sports competition for the less privilege in the community and reward the best.
- Organizing seminars/workshop for students on career/ free counseling.
- **What other projects do you know of, kindly drop them in the comment box below** (The list above is not exhaustive, you can add yours in the comment box below.)
Now you have an idea of the projects/projects that you want to do, what next? Discuss your choice and option with your Local Government Inspector or Zonal Inspector so he/she can guide you with the experience of other corpers he as handled.
CDS PROJECT FUNDING
If your project(s) will require funds, plan out how to source for the funds. Identify people or companies or groups who can easily get convinced by your idea and sponsor your projects.
Kindly note that NYSC will not endorse the project if it’s going to be financed by you or another corper. You should consider meeting with your relatives, religious leaders, philanthropists, NGOs, corporate organizations, traditional rulers, political office holders/representatives, public spirited individuals in the community, local government chairman or even the state government.Your appeal for funds must be well detailed, explaining the purpose of the funds, the breakdown of how funds will be used with receipt attached for the purpose of accountability, and the impact on the host community. Mobilization of resources should but in conjunction with community members and other relevant stakeholders and not in isolation.
Sample Letter of Funds Appeal
A Corper’s Appeal for Funds to Execute Community Projects
I am Aminu Adebola Chika with State Code AB/17B/0001 and phone number 08023456789, from China State, a 2017 batch-A corps member, presently serving in Baddoo Comprehensive School Ohovbe, Plateau State, and scheduled to pass out on the 11th of June 2018.
These projects will improve the quality of living in this community, create more jobs for youths and ensure that our collective goal the Nigerian vision is achieved.
The budget for the above projects are as follows:
Please, in the spirit of service, I humbly appeal for your assistance in ensuring that I can postively affect the lives of the residents of this community.
Aminu Adebola Chika
CDS PROPOSAL LETTER TO NYSC
Now, I assume you have gotten a CDS project Idea, a financial plan and sent out letters to potential sponsors, the next thing to do is, to write a proposal letter to NYSC state coordinator of the state through your Zonal Inspector (ZI), to get your project(s) approved.
Your project(s) must be approved before you can commence
Here is a example of how your CDS proposal letter could look like:
Personal Community Development Service Proposal
My name is Peter Emmanuel Moses, a batch B Corper serving in Adesuwa Primary School in Jos with State Code: AB/16C/0025.
I wish to inform you of my plans of carrying out 3 personal community development projects in my community of service (Igbis). Here are the details of each of the 3 projects
I look forward to your approval to enable me commence as soon as possible.
Peter Emmanuel Moses
CDS PROJECT EXECUTION
Once your proposal has been approved, proceed immediately to commence work. You will need to do so as soon as possible to enable you round up before your passing out day. In all your executions, make sure you carry NYSC along until the project is completed.
Let them know when you are done and fix a date with them for commissioning.
COMMISSIONING OF PROJECT
This stage is very important if you hope to win an award for your projects. For your project to be eligible for commissioning, it has to be “tangible”, not intangible. By tangible i mean projects like renovation, construction, etc. The following personalities need to be present on the day of your commissioning; NYSC officials or representative, all or some of your sponsors, the community leaders, some fellow corpers, etc.
While it may be exciting carrying out a personal community development service as a corper, caution must be taken not to neglect the compulsory group CDS you belong to. While the prospect of winning even the presidential award may be enticing enough to cause you do so many projects, I strongly will recommend you focus on one or two or a maximum of three projects and put all your efforts and resources into them.Wish you a successful PCDS. Do let me know if this post has inspired you or helped you win an award.
FOR MENTORSHIP AND GUIDANCE ON CDS RELATED ISSUES, SEND AN EMAIL TO : email@example.com
PLEASE DROP A COMMENT OR REVIEW.